Old Fashion Sayings

Have you ever wondered where terms such as 'don't throw the baby out with the bath water' came from? I have to say I hadn't until recently. This week while studying a comprehension on the Crimean War with my year 6 group, I found myself explaining the term 'in the...

read more

Should schools set homework?

Do you agree with homework? Firstly, as a Teacher and Governor I know how much time and effort staff put into setting and marking homework. Some parents believe they do not get enough whilst others think we should give our children less, especially in primary school....

read more

Should children study during the summer?

September is here, the kids are back at school and the weather is becoming autumnal so now is a good time to reflect on the summer just gone. I listen to many parents and teachers debate the role of summer revision: “does it really help children, or should they be...

read more

Top questions to ask your child after school

Are you one of the minority of parents who feel that they know what goes on during their child's day at school?   In a recent survey, 19% of you feel that you do, however that leaves a staggering 81% of parents completely clueless. As a teacher I hear parents ask...

read more

Are we teaching our children about money?

Yesterday, while listening to the radio I heard an interesting Barclays Bank advert. They suggested that parents should pay by cash when they are out with their family. In fact, they went a step further by asking you to get your child to pay with cash. Their...

read more

The challenge of the 11+

We are into February and many parents are starting to think more closely about secondary school entrance exams. During this planning time, there are always a plethora of questions asked by parents, but one I am often asked is what type of questions will be in the...

read more

Are we hindering our summer born children?

Recently there have been many news reports of the government looking to change the rules regarding summer born children. This suggested ruling will be that children born in the summer months could have their school year deferred, to allow for children to fully...

read more